Guitar Australia

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How many drummers does it take to change a light build?
"Oops, I broke it!"

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Record Your Own Demo - Beginner's Guide  (Read 1025 times)

Nick

• contributor
    • View Profile
Record Your Own Demo - Beginner's Guide
« on: September 16, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »

SOURCE Start at the source and get that as good as possible first. This is your voice and your instrument. Warm up your voice and tune up some new strings!
LOCATION Don't record next to or directly facing a wall or in a corner. Find some doonas and hang them behind the mic and behind you.
LEVELS Recording levels are important all the way until the signal is nothing but a bunch of ones and zeros on your hard drive. This is AKA 'gain staging' and the process involves making sure you don't carry unwanted noise through any amplification stage of the process. The end of the gain stage chain is the AD converter in your sound card. When you're looking at the level meter in your recording software, make sure you don't go over -10dB, this is because your soundcard is optimised to operate on levels between -18 and about -10. If by correctly gain staging up to this point you find you're over that, back off the very last gain stage gain control to suit. If your levels seem way too low in the software, DO NOT normalise the files (it's a complicated topic and I can explain in more detail if required!), the best thing to do is to boost with the gain control from a plugin and then compress. If people want it, I'll also post a mixing guide for demos with lots of tips and tricks
ADAmdem Record to at least 44.1KHz and 24bit. Any lower and you will lose valuable transient detail and sound S H I T  Any higher and you won't notice any improvement...
Render your project to at least 192KHz/s MP3s, higher if bandwidth is no problem and use dithering.
Following the above will get you some great raw tracks to work with and mean less time trying to remedy poor recordings in the mix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up