Guitar Australia

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How is a drum solo like a sneeze?
You can tell it's coming, but you canít do anything about it.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW TO GET MORE GIGS! part 1  (Read 1464 times)

Nick

• contributor
    • View Profile
HOW TO GET MORE GIGS! part 1
« on: January 19, 2015, 07:37:40 PM »

Introduction
Itís possible to make a living as a live performer, lots of people do it. Itís difficult though and it takes tenacity, a skillful approach and plenty of PASSION. Youíd be crazy to want to choose live performing as your profession unless you have the drive to give it a red hot go. I currently do this as my sole form of income and things are looking pretty good for me at the moment. But I didnít get off to a great start and I wasted time doing things that ultimately held back my career. Throughout this book Iíll try to help you avoid the errors I made, whilst explaining to you the operating methods I taught myself and currently use daily.

Iíve been performing as a solo acoustic musician for 25 years and in this book, I hope to share with you as much of what Iíve learnt as possible. Making music a successful career is very rewarding and comes with many perks. You get to travel to different cities and towns, you get to meet lots of people and you get a sense of pride at being paid to entertain a room full of people. Itís not all plain sailing though and from the get go, Iíd like to make it clear that there is no quick and easy way to achieve success in the music industry. To get to the point of making a living from performing live, you need to stick with it and keep your focus on getting the results you want. There will be times when you donít think itís worth it, or you feel that youíre never going to reach your expectations, but I advise you to remain passionate and keep trying!
Using this book as a reference, youíll be able to avoid many of the mistakes I made and approach your career armed with some valuable, hard earned knowledge. Think of it as a Ďleg upí that will get you up to speed and tackling the important things, without wasting time in areas that probably wonít be of any benefit. Having said that, never forget that thereís no one answer! Always be on the look out for ideas and others that are sharing their experience, because every little bit of knowledge is potentially very valuable.

Who is this book for?
There are two main categories of live music performance before you break things down into style and genre. One is covers and the other is originals. In this book, Iíll cover tips and methods for giving yourself the best chance of success in either covers or originals music, but the emphasis will be on people wanting to start or continue a career as a covers entertainer - more specifically, a solo acoustic performer. Nearly all the information relating to a career in covers performance will apply to originals acts though, and it will be made explicitly clear where a section applies only to one or the other.
If youíre thinking of trying to start off or continue as a professional solo acoustic musician playing either covers or your own material, youíll certainly find plenty of useful information in this book.

Why do this?
Itís a simple question, but worth exploring because if your reason for being in the music industry is not clear, you may find it hard to remain inspired enough to make it work. For most of us, a career in music and entertainment is a way to earn a living by exploiting a skill weíve invested much expense, time and effort in. Why work in some job you hate, when youíre in possession of a talent that is in demand? Or, it might be that you simply want to take you music to the world and think itís good enough to be given the best chance possible. Both cases represent paths that will require different approaches, and weíll explore both in depth in the following pages.

What do you need?
You need your voice and a guitar (keyboard is interchangeable with guitar throughout this book!)  to be a solo acoustic musician. Then you need a repertoire of well learnt material. You also need a plan of attack and thatís where this book will help you.

What to expect?
This depends on where youíre currently at in your music career. If youíve been out there looking for gigs and probably getting a few, you can expect to improve on your current situation. Iíll show you how to build on the gigs youíve already played and hopefully step things up based on that. If youíre completely new to the game and not really sure how to go about things, hopefully Iíll explain in great detail many of the important aspects of being a live performance musician.

PART 2
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:30:50 PM by Nick »

Mikako

HOW TO GET MORE GIGS p
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 04:17:11 PM »

If you need more traffic, you can use social bookmarking, social media, youtube video submission, squidoo lens, yahoo answers, and article submission.
Pages: [1]   Go Up