Guitar Australia

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What do call a guitar player without a girlfriend?
Homeless.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: microKORG tips!  (Read 662 times)

Nick

• contributor
    • View Profile
microKORG tips!
« on: January 29, 2015, 05:15:21 PM »

For any owners of this little wonder, here's some things that I've discovered.

Allow one sound to morph into another:
NOTE: This technique will only work for duophonic patches, because I use two voices layered, resulting in consumption of the four available voices.

- Initialise a new patch by selecting where you wish to work and pressing SHIFT [3], then press [3] again. This new location will now hold a basic saw tooth patch with oscillator 1 audible only.

- Switch EDIT SELECT 1 to VOICE and select SYNTH with CONTROL 1. With CONTROL 2, select LAYER.

- Set up the patch however you like, bearing in mind that this sound will 'morph' into another sound. (Of course, this could be the sound that is morphed into, but for this guide, I'll make this the initial sound.)

- Press the TIMBER SELECT button. You will now be able to setup the other layer. This layer should be something different to the first layer in order to hear the effect. Press SHIFT -> TIMBRE SELECT to hear only the second layer and press SHIFT -> TIMBRE SELECT to toggle between either layer. This will help you to setup both 'patches' without the other getting in the way.

- Once you have both individual layers sounding to your liking, you can begin editing the AMPLIFIER ENVELOPE GENERATOR (AMP EG) of each. This is the trick to getting them to sound at different times.

- Press the TIMBER SELECT button to switch to the first layer. Press SHIFT -> TIMBER SELECT to only hear the first layer.

- The AMP EG for the first layer can be set pretty much however you like, but you don't want it to RELEASE too slowly. It needs to 'make room' for the second layer. Turn EDIT SELECT 1 to AMP EG. The ATTACK setting controls how quickly your sound will reach it's loudest point. The higher the number, the longer it will take. Set this fairly low, since this first layer needs to 'give way' at some stage.

- DECAY is a little bit tricky. It's best to set the SUSTAIN with CONTROL 3 first, then set DECAY with CONTROL 2. DECAY controls how quickly your sounds level falls to the level set with SUSTAIN. We will set SUSTAIN to zero and DECAY to around 100. What this means is, once the note has been struck, the sounds level will fall to zero at a speed set by the DECAY control.

- Press TIMBER SELECT to adjust the second layer. We will now set up its AMP EG to allow it to fade in, just after the first layer has nearly finished fading out. We want to hear both layers together now, so SHIFT wasn't needed.

- Using CONTROL 1, set the ATTACK fairly high. This will delay the onset of the layer two sound. Going by ear, set the ATTACK to make the sound come up in volume at around the same time as the first layer has diminished nearly completely.

- The other parameters should be set to whatever suite the style of layer two the best.

If all goes well, you should now have a patch that 'morphs' from one sound to another. I think this opens up some nice possibilities on the MK, as it's not apparent that this type of programming is possible. Most 'larger' synths allow you to do all this automatically in the patch setup.

Don't forget, you can use this technique with two of the same types of sound, but have one of them set up with a different character or octave range.

Yeah, I reckon there's a lot you can do with this technique! :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up